Monday, December 14, 2009

Journaling and poetry: Confessions of a closet "rimer"

For far too long, I have neglected my online journal, my blog, as I focused on other tasks, events, and distractions. I'm turning over a new leaf and committing to posting more regularly.

Those who know me will remember that many of my early morning thoughts and journal entries are in the form of poems, mostly rhyming poetry. Sometimes I awaken to "hear" rhymes chanted in my head. I call this idiosyncrasy a Gift from my Internal 'Rimers'. If I'm diligent and lucky, I write down the rhymes before they are forgotten.

The poems can be about anything, usually whatever is of concern at the time and sometimes the product of a dream. They can be serious, simple, humorous, or nonsensical. I embrace the nonsensical with gratitude, after all, one of my favorite poems is "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.

Here is a poem about why we write, a gift from my "rimers" in the early morning hours of August 24, 2009.

We like to write as time goes by
Of things that trouble you and I.

Sometimes we write to ease the pain
Sometimes just 'cuz we must complain.
It can be joy that prompts our rhyme
Ecstatic feelings almost sublime.

And when all is said and done,
By writing we've increased the fun

Or eased the pain or shaped the gripe
Or shared our cause with earnest hype

Or given voice to strong emotion
While writing of our heart's devotion.

So when verses sound within the mind,
Pen them to paper that you may find

What thoughts and feelings are held within
And from the words some meaning spin.



No comments: